This article was originally published on CBD Seniors. Click here to view the original article and recipe.
ready in 30 minutes
Power 4 servings (2 large waffles)
We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But when you go out for breakfast, we often limit ourselves to super sweet or savory fried options. Now imagine making your own deliciously healthy waffles from home, topped off with a choice of sweet or savory waffles. Have the extra sugar and oil ready. Read on for our buckwheat super waffles and look forward to having brunch from home on Sundays!
Buckwheat is a nutritious whole grain that is viewed by many as a superfood. Buckwheat health benefits include high levels of fiber and protein, which makes it a great source of energy and promotes heart health and diabetes management. Likewise, hemp hearts are another superfood that is combined in this recipe. Hemp hearts are a great source of antioxidants, amino acids, and vegetable protein. They are also known to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
This recipe combines a variety of seeds and wholesome wheat to create a fluffy waffle that's perfect for something sweet or savory. Whether you prefer berries and a little syrup or eggs and sauce, the taste of your buckwheat super seed waffles goes both ways. Read on for your healthiest breakfast recipe yet!
Connected: For some tips and tricks on cooking with CBD, click here.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup of sprouted sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons of hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 ¼ cup of organic coconut water
- Coconut oil cooking spray for the waffle iron
- Place the buckwheat flour, sunflower seeds, and hemp hearts in a food processor and pulse until everything is similar to the consistency of the flour.
- Add the coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, coconut oil and coconut water and mix for 10-15 seconds until everything is combined.
- Put the dough in a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a waffle iron on medium heat, spray the surface liberally with coconut oil cooking spray, pour in half of the batter and cook until the waffle iron suggests. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Cover the waffles with sweet or savory ingredients and enjoy!
- For a hearty option: top with pork sausage, sauce and a fried egg!
- For a sweet option: top with fresh strawberries, blueberries, maple syrup, butter, whipped cream and coconut flakes!
- Buckwheat flour is a great source of vegetable protein, fiber, and energy that is gluten-free too. This recipe mimics the texture of regular waffles, but with no guilt and a particularly delicious nutty taste that isn't found in wheat-based dough.
- Adding a little bit of CBD oil to your batter gives this recipe some therapeutic benefits!