Dwight Anderson, nicknamed "The Blur" for his speed on the court playing basketball in Kentucky and Southern California, has died. He was 61 years old.

Anderson died Saturday at his Dayton, Ohio home, according to the Montgomery County Coroner Office. The cause was not immediately known and the results of the autopsy were still pending.

The 6-foot-3 guard began his college career under coach Joe B. Hall in Kentucky, where he averaged 13.3 points and, as a freshman in the 1979 season, shot 51% off the field. He played 11 games for the Wildcats during the 1980 season, averaging 10.7 points before joining USC in the mid-season.

As a junior at USC in 1981, Anderson averaged 19.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 12 games. The following season he scored an average of 20.3 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 27 games. Anderson was named an All-Pac-10 First Team and received an All-American Honorable Mention. He helped lead the Trojans to a 19-9 record and an NCAA tournament berth.

USC fans remember Anderson shooting behind the back against Washington on March 6, 1982 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. He pulled a bad pass from behind the backboard, spun in the air as he went out of hand, and shot it over the backboard and into a basket that is now against the rules.

Al McGuire, who broadcast the game, exclaimed, "A star is born!"

Anderson was a McDonald & # 39; s All-American at Roth High in Dayton, where he averaged a triple-double of 38 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists as a senior.

It was selected by Washington in the second round of the 1982 NBA Draft, but cut in the preseason. He played five games with Denver in 1983. Anderson played in the Continental Basketball Association for four years with a career average of 20 points. He was the league's top scorer in 1985.

In the early 1990s, Anderson's basketball career came to an end. He struggled with addiction problems for several years.

“Then I disappeared. I had no self-esteem, I just got up, ”he told the Dayton Daily News. "I never thought about playing ball again."

Anderson was later treated in Houston as part of John Lucas' wellness and aftercare program. In 2011, he appeared to have changed his life, working as an assistant coach at a high school in the Dayton area.

Funeral arrangements were still pending.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here